This month, we’ve done a recipe makeover of the classic Italian lasagne. This is a great recipe for families as well as for one as you can easily batch cook and freeze individually portioned slices for a convenient and warm meal on another night!
- 500g kent pumpkin, cut into thick wedges
- 1 red capsicum, cut into thick slices
- 2 small zucchinis, cut lengthways into thick slices
- 4 cloves garlic
- Extra virgin olive oil spray
- 175g fresh lasagne sheets
- 250g English spinach
- ½ cup grated parmesan cheese
- Black pepper and chilli flakes, optional, to serve
Herby tomato sauce:
- ½ brown onion, chopped
- 400g canned diced tomatoes, no added salt
- ½ tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- Small handful of fresh basil or dried basil
- 4 kalamata olives, optional
- 250g low fat ricotta cheese
- 50g cauliflower, grated
- ½ cup low fat milk, or calcium-fortified alternative
- Preheat oven to 200°C and line two large baking trays with baking paper.
- Arrange pumpkin, capsicum, zucchini and garlic on trays. Spray with olive oil spray and roast in oven for 40mins or until all vegetables are soft. Peel and mash the garlic.
- Meanwhile, spray large saucepan with olive oil spray and add onions. Cook onions, stirring occasionally, for 10mins over medium heat until soft. Add mashed garlic, tomatoes and balsamic vinegar and bring to boil. Reduce heat and cook for 25mins until sauce reduced to one-third of original volume.
- Stir in basil and olives and season with black pepper.
- Combine ricotta, cauliflower and milk in a bowl and season with black pepper.
- Spoon tomato sauce in a base of 20cm x 30cm lasagne dish. Cover a layer of lasagne sheets, spoon over half the remaining tomato sauce, half the capsicum and zucchini. Layer with another layer of lasagne sheets, half the spinach and pumpkin and spread half the ricotta mixture. Sprinkle half the parmesan. Continue to layer ingredients and finish with the ricotta mixture and parmesan.
- Bake lasagne for 30 mins or until the toppings are golden brown. Stand for 10 mins before slicing and serving.
- If you use dried lasagne sheets, follow the steps and bake the lasagne in Step 6 for 50mins.
- Use other colourful vegetables such as grated carrots, eggplant and mushrooms.
Looking for more healthy recipes for breakfast, lunch and dinner? Click here!