This month, we’re looking at a great, versatile recipe made with wholesome, easy-to-access ingredients. Packed with protein, fibre and flavour – these quick and easy lentil patties are a great option for lunch or dinner.
Prep: 10 minutes Cook: 25 minutes
- 2 cups lentils (green, brown or red)* – canned/cooked
- 2 medium onions* – finely sliced
- 2 medium zucchini – grated & squeezed to remove excess water
- 1.5 cup wholemeal breadcrumbs
- 1 egg – lightly beaten
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- olive oil spray
* See the Meet a New Ingredient section.
1. If cooking lentils – combine 1 cup dried lentils with 3 cups water and bring to boil. Reduce heat to simmer and cook for 10 minutes until soft. Drain.
2. In a bowl, combine lentils, onions, zucchini, breadcrumbs, eggs, ground cumin and ground coriander. Lightly mash and mix well.
3. Mash pumpkin in a large bowl.
4. Spray olive oil into non-stick frypan over medium heat. and scoop 1/4 or 1/3 cup of mixture into pan.
5. Cook patties for 5 minutes on each side or until golden.
- Serve with 1 tbs salt-reduced tomato sauce or sweet chilli sauce if you prefer something spicier!
- On hotter days – serve with a bed of mixed salad leaves or try it out with our Tri-colour coleslaw ‘Free Food’ Recipe in your HWFL Week by Week Guide
- On cooler days – serve with a warm vegie soup e.g. Roasted tomato soup or Pumpkin soup ‘Free Food’ Recipe in your HWFL Week by Week Guide
- Feel free to swap out the zucchini for whatever vegetable you may have on hand e.g. carrots, peas, cucumber, eggplant.
- Remember that most fresh vegetables can be bought fresh and frozen so there is no excuse for not having delicious veg during this time. Get creative!
Looking for more healthy recipes like this? Click here.