This month, we’re excited to introduce you to this hearty, flavourful lamb soup made with wholesome ingredients. A great recipe to keep your tummy and hands warm during winter – serve it up for lunch or dinner!
Prep: 10 minutes Cook: 20 minutes
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves – minced
- 1 onion – fine chopped
- 500g lamb mince
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 4 carrots – peeled and chopped
- 600g canned chickpeas – drained and rinsed
- 400g canned crushed tomato
- 3 cups/750ml chicken stock
- 4 packed cups spinach
- 2 tsp EACH cumin powder, smoked paprika*, coriander seeds
- 1 tsp cardamom powder (can omit if you don’t have)
- ¼ tsp cinnamon powder
- ½ tsp cayenne pepper (adjust to taste)
- ½ tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp salt
- Heat oil in a large pot over high heat. Add garlic and onion, cook for 1 minute until it starts to turn translucent.
- Add lamb and cook, breaking it up as you go. When it has mostly turned from pink to light brown, add spices.
- Cook for 1 minute, then add tomato paste and cook for another minute.
- Add carrots, chickpeas, tomato and stock. Stir and bring to simmer.
- Cover with lid, lower heat so it is bubbling energetically but not too rapidly. Cook for 10 minutes until carrot is tender
- Stir through spinach. Once wilted, adjust salt, pepper and cayenne to taste.
- Ladle into bowls and serve!
- Garnish with a generous sprinkling of chopped coriander for a boost of freshness!
- If lamb mince is not available, feel free to substitute with lean beef, chicken, turkey or veal mince.
- Try experimenting with other vegies too e.g. zucchini, mushrooms.