Check out this new recipe: Fish Skewers with Tabouleh. This month, we’re excited to introduce you to a vibrant, zingy recipe that will awaken your taste buds after winter and help you celebrate spring – serve it up for lunch or dinner!
Time Required: 30 minutes Serves: 4 people
- 600g skinless firm white fish (e.g. ling) – cut into 3cm cubes
- 1 medium orange – rind finely grated, juiced
- 2cm piece ginger – peeled, finely grated
- 2 tsp olive oil
- Olive oil spray
- 4 small wholemeal pita breads – to serve
- 200g baby salad leaf mix – to serve
- 2/3 cup burghul/bulgar wheat
- 2 cups fresh flat leaf parsley – chopped
- 1 cup fresh mint leaves – chopped
- 3 medium tomatoes, seeds removed, chopped
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- Pepper – to season
1. To make the tabouleh, place burghul in a bowl. Cover with boiling water. Stand for 15 minutes or until softened. Drain in a sieve, pressing out all the water using the back of a large metal spoon then transfer to a large bowl and cool. Add the remaining ingredients and toss well to combine.
2. Thread fish pieces onto eight bamboo skewers. Place in a shallow dish in a single layer. Whisk the orange rind, juice, ginger and olive oil in a small jug. Pour over fish skewers. Turn to coat. Cover and refrigerate for 10 minutes (if time permits).
3. Preheat grill/barbecue plate on medium-high heat and lightly spray with oil. Remove the skewers from the marinade. Place on barbecue and cook for about 6 minutes or until fish is cooked, turning skewers halfway during cooking time. Transfer to a plate. Cover with foil to keep warm.
4. Wrap pita bread in foil and place on the grill/barbecue for 5 minutes, to warm through.
5. Serve skewers with warm bread, tabouleh and salad leaves.
- If you don’t have burghul, you can substitute with quinoa, cracked wheat or whole wheat couscous.
- If you would like to swap the baby salad leaf mix for something more jazzed up, have a peek at the ‘Salad and Side Dishes’ Recipe Section at the back of your HWFL Guide for some interesting ideas.