This month, we’re bringing you a tasty little lunch or dinner recipe that is a great option to get you fuelled up for the warm weather and summer fun.
Time Required: 30 minutes Serves: 4 people
- 400g lean rump steak – trimmed of all fat
- 2 teaspoons Cajun spice mix
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 250g freekeh* – uncooked
- 2 corn cobs – husk and silk removed
- 3 cups red cabbage* – finely shredded
- 300g broccoli
- 1 carrot – grated
- 1 large/2 small avocado(s) – halved and peeled
- 2 tablespoons pecans – chopped
- Lime wedges, to serve
For Buttermilk Dressing:
- ¾ cup buttermilk
- ¼ cup fresh coriander – halved and peeled
- 1 green shallot – finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 2 teaspoons lime juice
- Place steak on a large plate. Rub both sides with combined spice mix and oil. Heat a large non-stick frying pan over a medium-high heat. Add steak and cook for about 4 minutes on each side, or until cooked to your liking. Transfer to a clean plate. Rest 15 minutes.
- In a deep microwaveable bowl, add 2 cups of boiling water to freekeh. Microwave (1000w) uncovered on high for 14 minutes. Cover and leave to sit for further 10 minutes.
- Rinse corn cobs under cold water. Cut kernels from cob.
- Place broccoli in a heatproof bowl. Cover with boiling water. Stand 2 minutes. Drain and refresh under cold water. Drain again.
- To make dressing, whisk all ingredients in a medium jug with a fork to combine.
- To serve, slice steak thinly. Arrange freekah, steak, corn, broccoli, cabbage and carrot in separate sections between 4 shallow serving bowls. Top each serving with an avocado half. Drizzle with dressing and sprinkle with pecans.
- Feel free to swap the freekeh for any cooked wholegrain e.g., quinoa, barley, brown rice.
- If steak isn’t your thing, you can opt for chicken, fish or go plant-based with some firm tofu or tempeh instead
- Don’t have any buttermilk handy? Don’t fear – Greek or natural yoghurt will also do the trick!